Introducing: Makom ATID !
Makom's innovative approach to serious Jewish learning and preparation for Bar/Bat Mitzvah for students in grades 5-8
About Makom ATID
ATID means "future" in Hebrew.
As an acronym, ATID stands for: Afterschool Torah Im Derekh-Eretz (Torah with Ways of the World).
- Engage students in deep and meaningful Jewish learning
- Provide broader, foundational knowledge of Judaism and Hebrew
- Offer continuing education for Makom Afterschool students; opportunity for students coming from a different Jewish day or supplementary schools, or with no prior Jewish education
- Encourage Torah Lishmah, Learning for its own sake (with a secondary focus on the B/Mitzvah ceremony)
- Create peer community
- Develop future opportunities to engage in volunteering, outdoor experiences, downtown Jewish history, etc.
In 2018-2019, we will be offering the following learning opportunities:
Jewish Literacy: 1 day a week (1.5 hrs, required)
- Grades 5-8
- Taught by dynamic and inspiring teachers
Hebrew Literacy & Applied Hebrew: 1 day a week (2 hrs, optional)
- 45 min Hebrew Literacy (Hebrew conversation, reading & writing)
- 45 min Applied Hebrew (Prayer literacy & Torah/Haftarah chanting)
- Small-group tutoring based on previous learning
- Grades 5-8
- Taught by native/fluent Hebrew speakers
B'nai Mitzvah Preparations (for those who desire)*
- Separate, individual learning with one of Makom's rabbis
- Separate, individual learning of Torah portions for Bar/Bat Mitzvah with individual tutors
*please note: B'nai Mitzvah preparation not covered by ATID tuition fees
Teacher Information for 2018/2019 coming soon!
Our Location: Makom storefront - 402 College St. (East of Bathurst)
Makom ATID Dates & Times for 2018-2019:
Mondays 4:00 - 6:00 pm - Hebrew Literacy
Wednesdays 4:15 - 5:45 pm - Jewish Literacy
- Students are welcome to arrive from 3:30 onward to relax together in our downstairs space while eating a snack, doing homework, schmoozing, etc.
- Students may hang out at Makom until 6:00 if later pick-up is needed
Jewish Literacy only: $1800/year (Sept-June)
Jewish Literacy + Hebrew Learning: $3000/year (Sept-June)
Tuition Deposit: We require a 20% deposit at the time of registration
In cases where registered students are voluntarily withdrawn from the program, the following conditions apply with respect to refunds of tuition:
Before and on July 1: You will receive a refund of all payments except the registration deposit.
Between July 1-31: You will receive a refund of 50% of annual tuition (you will not receive a refund of the registration deposit).
On and after Aug. 1: Annual tuition and deposit are completely non-refundable. You will receive a receipt for a charitable donation for all amounts paid.
We repeat that in all such cases where a student is voluntarily withdrawn from the program, the registration deposit is non-refundable.
In a case where a student is asked to leave Makom Afterschool for disciplinary reasons, all tuition fees will be forfeit, as well as the registration deposit. No refund will be issued.
No exceptions will be made to this policy.
(All deposits and tuition payments will be considered charitable donations. Tax receipts will be issued for all deposit and tuition payments).