Introducing: Makom ATID !
Makom's innovative approach to serious Jewish learning and preparation for Bar/Bat Mitzvah for students in grades 5-8
About Makom ATID
ATID means "future" in Hebrew.
As an acronym, ATID stands for: Afterschool Torah Im Derekh-Eretz (Torah with Ways of the World).
- Engage students in deep and meaningful Jewish learning
- Provide broader, foundational knowledge of Judaism and Hebrew
- Offer continuing education for Makom Afterschool students; opportunity for students coming from a different Jewish day or supplementary schools, or with no prior Jewish education
- Encourage Torah Lishmah, Learning for its own sake (with a secondary focus on the B/Mitzvah ceremony)
- Create peer community
- Develop future opportunities to engage in volunteering, outdoor experiences, downtown Jewish history, etc.
In 2017-2018, we will be offering the following learning opportunities:
Jewish Literacy: 1 day a week (1.5 hrs, required)
- Grades 5-8
- Taught by dynamic and inspiring teachers, including Rabbi Aaron and Rabbi Emma on occasion
Hebrew Learning: 1 day a week (1.5 hrs, optional)
- Small-group tutoring based on previous learning
- Grades 5-8
- Hebrew conversation, reading & writing
- Taught by native/fluent Hebrew speakers
In 2018-2019, we plan to add an additional day of optional learning:
Torah Chanting & Prayer Literacy: 1 day a week (1.5 hrs, optional)
- Grades 6-8 (1 year of learning prior to date of Bar/Bat Mitzvah ceremony)
- One semester of Torah/Haftarah chanting, one semester of prayer literacy
- Students will learn together as a group with one teacher
- Separate, individual learning of Torah portions for Bar/Bat Mitzvah with individual tutors
Introducing Lea New Minkowitz - Jewish Learning Instructor
Lea was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. She earned a dual M.A. in Hebrew & Judaic Studies and Education & Jewish Studies at NYU, where she studied as a Jim Joseph Foundation Fellow and a Wexner Graduate Fellow. Her classroom experience runs the gamut of Jewish education, from adult learning in Orthodox settings to working with teens at pluralistic community schools. Lea is excited to create empowering learning experiences at the ATID program at MAKOM this year. A New Yorker at heart, Lea currently lives with her husband and young daughter in downtown Toronto.
Introducing Kobi Has - Hebrew Language Instructor
Kobi (Jaacov) Hass, who has relocated from Tel Aviv to Toronto in 2010, is a professional musician, Hebrew and music teacher and educator. Prior to his relocation Kobi served as the head of a music department in a prominent high school for the arts and science, as well as a college teacher. In Toronto Kobi started teaching music and Hebrew, and lecturing about music and philosophy in different institutions. Kobi holds a Master degree in music from Tel-Aviv University and a Professional Music Diploma from Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA. Kobi studied at The Cohn Institute for the History and Philosophy of Science, Tel Aviv University.
Other than making music and teaching, Kobi is interested in history, philosophy and education, from both its practical and theoretical aspects.
Our Location: Makom storefront - 402 College St. (East of Bathurst)
Makom ATID Dates & Times for 2017-2018:
Mondays 4:15 - 5:45 pm - Hebrew Learning
Wednesdays 4:15 - 5:45 pm - Jewish Literacy
- Students are welcome to arrive from 3:30 onward to relax together in our downstairs space while eating a snack, doing homework, schmoozing, etc.
- Students may hang out at Makom until 6:00 if later pick-up is needed
Jewish Literacy only: $1800/year (Sept-June); ATID pilot-year pioneers' discount: $1,650
Jewish Literacy + Hebrew Learning: $2,750/year (Sept-June); ATID pilot-year pioneers’ discount: $2,550