We are hoping and planning for a September return to safe in-person learning! We will follow public health guidelines to prioritize the safety of our students and staff.
As they progress through the program, students will...
- Build Modern Hebrew conversational skills and vocabulary
- Develop Hebrew listening and reading comprehension for stories and prayers
- Acquire phonetic decoding skills for reading unfamiliar words and prayers
- Write in script
- Connect to the land and people of Israel
- Develop skills for celebrating Shabbat and holidays at home and in community
- Learn Hebrew vocabulary for Shabbat and holidays
- Learn berakhot (blessings) and prayers for home rituals
- Hear and retell the background/story of Shabbat and each holiday
- Celebrate Shabbat and holidays in Afterschool and Makom communities
- Experience the full cycle of the Jewish calendar, and connect each holiday to its month and season
- Become familiar with key Torah stories and actors, the arc of the Torah narrative, and some midrashim (rabbinic interpretations of Torah stories)
- Learn key Hebrew words for understanding Torah stories
- Identify values applicable to their lives
- Explore selected mitzvot (Jewish responsibilities) related to Jewish values
- Develop a working Hebrew vocabulary of Jewish values and mitzvot, and use these terms in classroom setting and family life
- Express Jewish values as they relate to their own lives
As a result of these learning experiences, students will grow as ethical, engaged, and empowered Jews.